Monday, November 19

The Gravy

Hilarious to me that my mothers response to my last post was to coach me on the gravy. She knows me so well. The serious anxiety has set in about Thanksgiving. When it comes right down to it, I'm only worried about one thing...and she nailed it. We are expecting between 15 and 20 people and am I worried about where they will all sit? The turkey? Parking? No, nope, not at all. I am worried about the gravy.
The gravy is God people. Mind you as of yet I've never bombed the gravy. It has always turned out perfect. I am blessed to have the Goddess of Gravy as my mother...and she taught me well. And yet still...I worry. As I lay in bed last night, planning my Thursday chronology, I considered buying canned gravy as a backup plan. I quickly put that aside, canned gravy would be as much a sin to me as botched gravy. You see, nothing else has to be perfect, as long as the gravy is. The stuffing, the turkey, the mashed potatoes...all could be mediocre and if the gravy is perfect the meal will sing. I, quite literally, could put the gravy in a glass and drink it. The worst part of this whole worrisome debacle, is that the gravy is the climax of the Thanksgiving supper story. It is the very last thing I make, right before dinner is served...which leaves me worrying about it right up until the very moment of "the meal". In my obsessive mind, Thanksgiving dinner is the single most important meal of the year...so if the gravy is the saving grace of the most important meal of the year, then Thursday's gravy is the most important thing I will cook ALL YEAR! That's a LOT of pressure!!! And I am spending an insane amount of time thinking about how to do something that I KNOW how to do!! I am a hot gravy mess right now.

2 comments:

  1. I do love you so! I know you can do it, your Grandmother and I trained you well. But you are so right, if the gravy aint good the potatoes, stuffing, and yes, even the Turkey suffer. Sorry! Next year, you guys have to come down, just like we did many many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know....only the women care. Them men eat and eat and eat....we dont really pay attention to the details of the meal like yall do.

    ReplyDelete